A heat exchanger is an important furnace component that distributes heat throughout the house. However, your system heat exchanger may develop operating issues after repeated use. Here is a list of warning signs of heat exchanger damage to assist you in escaping the negative consequences of a damaged furnace.
Signs Of A Damaged Heat Exchanger
When your heat exchanger is damaged, it can cause various problems. Here are some of the most common symptoms that the professionals in heating service in Chatsworth, Los Angeles can solve:
- Strange Smells: If your system smells like burning rubber or plastic or has an odor similar to rotten eggs from the vents, this could indicate a problem with your heat exchanger.
- Soot Buildup: Excessive soot buildup can indicate something is wrong with the airflow in your home. The soot will typically appear on the walls of the exhaust pipe and around any other air filters in your system.
- Corrosion & Cracks: If you see corrosion or cracks on any part of your exhaust system, it could mean that there’s been a leak somewhere in those parts. This can lead to further problems if left unaddressed for too long. Contact heat pump service in Chatsworth, Los Angeles, CA, immediately for help.
- Change In The Flame Appearance: One of the most common signs of a damaged heat exchanger is when your flame changes color. This can happen because there’s too much fuel, not enough oxygen, or because the flue gas leaks through holes in your heat exchanger.
- Audible Sounds: If you hear a loud noise from your exhaust pipe, it could signal that your heat exchanger is damaged. The sound may be caused by air escaping from a damaged seal, or a crack in the metal itself may cause it.
The noises can also indicate something more severe than a simple repair job and should be consulted by the heating service in Chatsworth, Los Angeles, CA.
- High Energy Bills: If your energy bills are significantly higher than before, it could be a sign that your heat exchanger is damaged. The heat exchanger controls how much energy goes into the home and how much goes out, so if it’s damaged, more energy will escape than enter, leading to high bills.
- Presence Of Carbon Monoxide: The presence of carbon monoxide in the air pumped through your heat exchanger signifies something is wrong. The carbon monoxide comes from your fuel, which needs to be burned correctly. This means that there’s a problem with the fuel system, and it’s likely that the heat exchanger itself has been damaged or clogged by debris.
- Low Temperature: If you’re experiencing a low temperature in your home, it could be caused by a few things: too much dust and debris in your filter, a clogged filter, or an improperly working heat exchanger.
At LPHVAC, our technicians are highly trained and have many years of experience in heat pump service in Chatsworth, Los Angeles, CA. They know how to fix all heating problems, from the water heater to furnace repair.
We also offer 24/7 emergency service, so if find that your furnace isn’t able to heat your home correctly, give us a call. We will be there as soon as possible to get your furnace back up and running again.